31 March 2008

National Clean Up Day




Today was the national clean up day so all businesses and roads are closed and every Rwandan is required to clean up the city.  It starts at 8am and ends at 12 noon.  It was difficult because no one is allowed to drive unless you have a special driving permit on this day.  It caused a real problem for some of the staff who had to get to the airport to pick people up.  Steve’s team was able to get the driving passes and made their way over to the Amahoro Stadium to do some clean up and prayer walking for the big event tomorrow.  We were all stuck in the house until 1:00 because we could not get a ride anywhere.  

 

Caroline, Jade, and I finally met up with the team at Bourbon around 3pm and went over to a church to hand out more shoeboxes.  As usual the kids were on stage singing and dancing.  There was a big sign on the top of the church wall that said “Discover Your Purpose Driven Life”.  The kids were just as excited today to get the boxes as the kids were yesterday.  I sat with some kids and we went through their boxes together.  One little girl had chapstick in her box and we played dress up with the chapstick and her hair brush and hair clips (even through most Rwandan girls have shaved heads).  She would copy everything that I did.  She was so cute.  I love seeing the excitement and joy in the children’s faces.  They just get so overwhelmed with excitement.  It is a pure joy and blessing to witness this.

 

Since we got a late start in the day this was our only activity.  Our church visit was followed up by dinner at New Cactus which I was happy about until I found out they had pre-ordered all the pizzas and unfortunately they had chosen the worst pizzas on the menu.  I should have just ordered my own, but needless to say I think I ate an entire one myself!  HA!  I don’t complain, I just take what I get and I’m totally happy!

 

Shawn was gone really late picking up Kay and Rick and all the media people from the airport.  They all came in on different flights and one of the Fox guys didn’t make it.  He stayed behind in another country because some of their sound equipment didn’t make the flight to Kigali.  They are doing a documentary on the P.E.A.C.E. plan.  He got back at about 2 am and was extremely tired and wet from being outside in the rain.  He works so hard here, I am so proud of him.

 

No comments: